Content Harry Potter Trixie Belden Star Trek: TNG My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Harry looked at the letter that a Hogwarts owl had just delivered. Has that man learned nothing? he thought in his fury.


Harry,

The Dementors are free of Ministry controls, and the remainder of Voldemort's Death Eaters are still loose. It is vital that you limit your time outside. Preferably, you will leave the house only for the chores that your aunt and uncle assign you. By all means, keep your exits from the property to emergency purposes only! This means no walks to the nearby park.

By necessity, we must limit owl contact as well. It is far too likely that someone will attempt to send you something dangerous. All owls are being diverted to Hogwarts, save Hedwig, who is simply immune to the diversion charm due to her connection to you.

I am sorry for the necessity of this, but you are far too valuable and important to lose.

I look forward to seeing you in September at Hogwarts.

Albus Dumbledore


He orders me to stay here. He tells me that I won't be seeing anyone this summer. Again. And he apparently expects me to simply roll over and do it! He stalked away from the letter which sat on what passed for a desk.

He stomped around the room for a while quietly - living with the Dursleys had taught him that - before sitting down and pulling out some parchment.


Hermione,

Forgive this letter, please. I ask this because I need to ask you to keep an eye on Hedwig for me until I contact you next. I need you to read this letter all the way through before contacting Dumbledore, as I'm sure you'll want to when you read my thoughts.

I'm leaving. I'm sending the letter from Dumbledore that made this decision for me. I'm stupid and childish and attention seeking and Merlin knows how many other ways of calling me stupid, if you listen to Snape. I need to leave, though. I need to understand life and making my own decisions.

I have something very important to do before I die - and secret enough that I can't tell you via Hedwig. It had something to do with how you got that horrific scar across your beautiful form.

Yeah, I called you beautiful. Now that I know I'll likely never see you again (I'm not keen on returning to Hogwarts and getting more of the Bumblebee's loving care wherein he tells me nothing and expects me to be an adult while he treats me like a child), I'm willing to tell you that you're probably the prettiest girl at school. (What can I say? I have a thing for smart girls.)

Back to the issue at hand, though. When does DD expect me to learn what he knows I have to learn? How will I learn it if I'm always locked into this home where all I ever see is a hollow mockery of love, and even that is never aimed at me?

Did you know that Voldemort and I have had similar childhoods?

Did that last sentence scare you? It should any sane person, but our friendly meddling Bumblebee insists that my strength of heart will win the day, or some such tripe. I'm certain that he doesn't realise just what these "people" that are my jailers are like.

Yes, jailers. Ask Ron while you're at the Burrow, or HQ, or wherever DD puts you - ask him about my second year, and ripping bars off my windows.

At least you'll be able to explore the romance you and Ron have. I don't think Ron will ever know just how damned jealous I am of him. He's jealous of my fame and my money. I'm jealous of his having a life filled with love - his parents, his sister and brothers (even if they do torment him occasionally), and you. Somehow, the prat managed to snag the best girl at Hogwarts, and I never realised that until it was simply too late.

Well, I'm going to end this letter and be on my way. Please take care of my girl for me - I don't know when I'll be settled enough to be able to call for her again.

Until we meet again one day,

Harry

P.S. - sorry for leaving the job of telling everyone else to you, but I need to get moving before you can tell Dumbledore. I don't trust him as easily as once I did, but you still do.


He closed his letter after enclosing the one the headmaster had sent, and walked over to Hedwig, who was looking at him with curiosity. "Hey girl," he said softly. "I need you to fly this letter to Hermione, and then stay there with her until I have a chance to call for you, okay? I'm going to be doing a lot of travelling soon, and you'd not only be uncomfortable, but I wouldn't be writing many people. I've explained to Hermione why I'm asking you to stay." She hopped onto his arm. "I'm gonna miss you," he said thickly. "I wish I could bring you along, but it just isn't feasible right now. Love you, girl." He pulled her closer and gently put his arm around her in a sort of hug. "Go on, girl. Be free for now. Enjoy yourself." She gently nipped his fingers and then flew to the sill, where she turned to face him for a long moment before turning and gracefully taking to the air.

Back to:: Harry Potter » Discovery